We had our first medical scare with Julia this week. We were getting ready to leave the house for work and Julia had in her hand a blister package of my nausea medication, Zofran. She was saying, "MY medicine, MY medicine". I told her that it was not her medicine, but Mommy's medicine. I couldn't imagine that she would know how to open the package. Then she said, "I take it". So I immediately told her to stick out her tongue and nothing was in her mouth. She answered "yes" when asked if she had put the medicine in her mouth, had swallowed the medicine, etc. I smelled her breath and it did smell sweet like the medicine. At this point, I was picturing us in the ER getting her stomach pumped. I called Poison Control and since she had only taken 8mg and didn't have a history of seizures, they said that she would be fine. This is a medication given for nausea to chemotherapy patients and frequently given to children undergoing chemo. They even said that up to 145 mg have been given to children through an IV. So they cautioned us to watch her for 2-4 hours and to expect possible drowsiness. We took her to the babysitter and Mrs. Susan said that she would watch her and even said she had Poison Control on speed dial. She said that she was a little drowsy in the morning, but played normally. This medicine was in my drawer (apparently not out of reach) so we are definately going to make sure all medication is in high cabinets. I'm sure this is first of many similar scares.
Saturday, September 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
OUR YOUNG LIFE
CURT, TARA, JULIA, AND JOSEPH


No comments:
Post a Comment